I posted some server specs today for one of my servers (yes I have more than one), and it got some attention. Really it’s not my best server.
My reference server of choice this year is my SuperMicro box:
* SUPERMICRO SYS-5038D-I Mid-Tower Server
* 32GB Crucial 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Buffered Ram
* Intel Intel Xeon E3-1270V3 Haswell 3.5GHz
* Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM
* (2x) SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB SATA Drives
I load it up with Windows Server 2012 R2 Server (eval) for testing, and it runs like a dream!
I use 1 SSD drive for the OS, and the other for holding most of my virtual machines.
Right now I have about 13-15 Virtual Machines up and running with the Windows 8.1 Enterprise Management Suite. No Problem! https://connect.microsoft.com/pocjumpstart/program8614
And it’s only using about 55% of the available memory!
Whole package should be less than $1500 on Newegg.
Do you have a better configuration for hosting 10-15 Virtual Machines? let me know!
Update: Forgot to mention my best server:
The best server I ever had was at Microsoft when I worked in the extended “System Center” group
* 96GB of ECC Ram
* (2x) Intel Xeon E5640 (if I recall) processors (each with 4 cores)
* (4x) 300GB Seagate 15k SAS drives ( yes 15000 RPM’s )
The most obscene part was that I had (TWO) of these machines. I will miss them. :^(
Together they would cost about as much as I paid for my last car.