Been refining my Image Factory process, and noticed a regression with the new Windows 8.1 August Update (KB2975719).
What I observed in my ZTIWindowsUpdate.log file is that the Windows Update Agent found the (KB2975719) update, and applied it to the system. Then after reboot, the *same* update was found again. However in this case the Update was a little different, however for the second application of KB2975719, the size was different. Is this the same update or a different package?
INSTALL - 9fed22fc-cdd2-4724-8463-c08f21de6196 - Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2975719) - 13 MB
FOUND - 9fed22fc-cdd2-4724-8463-c08f21de6196 - Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2975719) - 183 MB
MDT Does not install the larger 183MB package, so the update is not installed. Whoops.
Although I don’t recall the exact scenario, there have been some updates published to Windows Update that just don’t play well with others. There was one package that was particularly troublesome, when we ran a query through the Windows Update Agent, the package would report as not-installed and ready to install. We would allow the install to proceed, however upon reboot, we would re-run the Windows Update Agent query, and the same update would be reported as not-installed, and ready to install, AGAIN! This would create an infinite loop, trying to install, and re-install the same package over and over again.
ZTIWindowsUpdate.wsf has detection logic to reboot and re-run a maximum of 7 times to prevent infinite loops. In addition, if the update was downloaded and scheduled for installation, we will not allow that package to be installed again. The later example is what is now causing problems with KB2975719.
I removed the logic to prevent MDT from installing the same package again if already installed, and so far, I don’t see any regressions with Windows 7 SP1, Windows 2008 R2 SP1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 8.1 and the new Windows 10 Technical Preview builds (both client and server).
(Really, I need to start putting all of my miscellaneous scripts into a single location. :^(