Microsoft released the much anticipated MDT 2013 Update 1 Preview this week, See the announcement here.
Johan Arwidmark has already done an excellent analysis of the latest build, but I though I would pile on as well. :^)
So what issues am I tracking:
- Perhaps the biggest missing component is a new task sequence for the new Windows 10 “OS Upgrade”. There have been several blog posts on the subject, so I would have expected to see it by now.
- .\Templates\Server.xml has a fix for ImageBuild > 6 in Sysprep, but .\Templates\Client.xml is missing that fix.
- Still a lot of XP and Vista legacy code in LTIApply.wsf and LTISysprep.wsf.
- Readers of this blog may recall my fix for LTIApply.wsf and split WIM’s. The solution Microsoft has chosen to address Split Wim’s is very similar ;^)
- Only minor fixes to ZTIWindowsUpdate.wsf. I have several other updates on my blog.
- I have a minor quibble about the new Function GetMajorMinorVersion. It’s not a function, it’s a Sub since it does not return any values. I would have preferred that the function return the Major and Minor OS version as a Float.
- I have 20 or so bugs on Connect, and so far I can see only the split wim fix in the Preview.
- Although MSFT has fixed several bugs related to the version number jump “6.4” > “10.0” they didn’t fix any build number problems “6000” > “10007”.
- I can see that Microsoft added some entries for ServerManager.xml, but they copied the Windows 10 entries from above (see how Roles ID 12 is repeated twice), I wrote a script a while back to programmatically generate the ServerManager.xml file from the OS itself. You can see my changes on MDTEx.
I have been making my own modifications to MDT 2013 Update 1 Preview to match my own build environment, and rather than place the files up on OneDrive, or other share, I have decided it’s time to put them in a proper Version Control System for tracking. The placeholder site for now is at: http://MDTEx.CodePlex.com. These changes are strictly unsupported, and provided only as a starting point for discussions on MDT script changes. :^)